Rafting Zoar Gap
Take your family, office, church, or scout group rafting on the Deerfield River's most popular rafting section, Zoar Gap. With a minimum age of 7, these Class II whitewater rapids with one Class III rapid are ideal for beginner rafters.
Our ten-mile white water rafting trip on Zoar Gap begins at Fife Brook Dam in Florida Massachusetts. Rapids such as Microwave, Freight Train, and Pinball allow crews to hone their skills in preparation for the raging whitewater of Zoar Gap. Below the Gap, we pull over in a state forest for a delicious picnic-style lunch with salads, homemade breads and cookies. After lunch there are opportunities to swim or simply relax as we raft back to our basecamp where hot showers and a slide show of the day's adventure await.
2015 Zoar Gap Rafting Rates:
1 person rafts free for every 12 people you book!
$69 per adult; $59 per youth under 16 (wetsuits included until May 15th)
$89 per adult weekdays; $69 per youth weekdays; $97 per adult weekends; $77 per youth weekends
$69 per adult; $59 per youth
A Typical Day
The Zoar Gap trip meets at our base in Charlemont, Massachusetts at 10:30a.m.. Please try to be on time, since we must work within the schedule of water releases decided on by the power company. You will be required to read and sign a release of liability at this time.
We raft a ten-mile section of class II and III whitewater on the Deerfield River in Northwestern Massachusetts. We put in below the Fife Brook Dam and finish the trip at our base camp in Charlemont, MA. The trip usually takes 6 hours, including registration, transportation to the river, swimming stops, a picnic lunch served on the river, and a slide show of your run through the biggest rapids.
The following statement is required by state law: "Before placing your order, please inform your server if a person in your party has a food allergy."
What To Wear
You should bring the following with you for your trip. Expect everything you bring on the raft to get wet. Thus, it is advisable to leave all valuables locked in your vehicle.
- Wool or fleece sweater and wind breaker or nylon jacket
- Bathing suit and/or shorts in the warmer weather, longer pants made of wool, nylon, or polypropylene in the colder weather.
- Wool or synthetic socks
- Sneakers or other shoes that can get wet (no flip-flops)
- A change of clothes and a towel for after the trip!
- Extra money for T-shirts, photos, snacks, coin-op showers, etc...
- Required medications
- Sun screen and sun glasses (strap for sun glasses)
Cotton Clothing such as blue jeans, sweatshirts, or t-shirts, is not appropriate for rafting since cotton keeps you cold when it gets wet. Wool, nylon, or polypropylene clothing are ideal. These materials will wick the water away from your skin and will keep you warm when it's wet.
All Guests will be required to wear a Zoar Outdoor issued PFD(Personal Flotation Device) and Helmet.
Zoar Gap trips leave from our basecamp at Zoar Outdoor at the west end of Charlemont, Massachusetts. We are approximately 2 1/2 hours from Boston and 3 1/2 hours from New York.
- To get here from Boston take Route 2 west. Where Route 2 merges with Interstate 91 in Greenfield be sure to exit again onto Route 2 west (exit 26.) Zoar Outdoor is about 17 miles west of this exit. We're based in a red colonial on the north side of the road.
- To get here from New York City take Interstate 95 north to Interstate 91 north. Take exit 26 in Massachusetts and follow Route 2 west for about 17 miles. We're based in a red colonial on the north side of the road.