Join the Whitewater Rafting Department
Raft Guides & Guided Kayak Guides
Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the rafting department at Zoar Outdoor. We are currently accepting applications for our spring training sessions. Training sessions and application deadlines are listed below. Applications received after our spring deadlines, will be held until our next available training session, or shared with other departments still hiring. We periodically hire guides with prior experience throughout the season. Our season runs from April 1st-Oct 15th.
This is an outdoor customer service position with an athletic element, and a training program like no other. We hire for personality and character, and train for skill. Entry level guides require no prior experience, advanced river guides should have prior class IV experience. Our guides are a mosaic of personality, ages, and backgrounds brought together by a common love of the outdoors and their servant’s heart.
- Raft guides must be at least 18 years of age prior to the first day of work
- Eligible for work in the United States without our sponsorship
- CPR/FA certification (we will be hosting a course during training)
- Capable of lifting guests back into the raft, carrying gear over uneven ground, and swimming in swift moving water
- Embrace feedback as a vehicle to self awareness and growth
- Be a positive contributor to our company's culture
- Ability to keep a smile while working in all weather conditions
- A flexible “can do” attitude
- Exercise sound judgment
- Be playful, professional, and charismatic with a diverse group of guests
- Embrace our Core Values
Shifts and schedules vary, and our scheduling process is flexible, accommodating staff seeking seasonal full or part-time employment. A multiplicity of roles and responsibilities fall under the umbrella of the rafting department, all of which will be discussed during the interview. Universal responsibilities are:
- Punctuality and ready to work when you arrive
- A dedication to our guests. You are their safety and experience caretaker, from arrival to departure.
- Exercising sound judgment and professional behavior on and off the water
- Seeing your work through to completion
This isn’t just a job, its part of a lifestyle that values culture, community, connection, and relationships. We celebrate this community with monthly staff parties, staff trips, and outings. Advocating for our programming is part of the job, and as a staff member you’ll have the opportunity to raft, zip, kayak, SUP, bike for no cost. In addition we offer flexible scheduling, discounts, pro-deals, comp trips and photos for friends and family, free clinics, competitive pay, lunch daily, and great co-workers,
All whitewater gear is available during training. After training, guides are responsible for obtaining their own river attire and all essential state required equipment: a helmet, a whistle, a knife, 2 carabiners, a prusik, and a type III PFD. Staff discount for required equipment is available after the first two days of training.
The expectation is that new staff attend all training days unless your prior whitewater or professional career experience warrants a truncation or alternative training schedule. Make up training dates and all training adjustments will be determined by the rafting manager on a case by case basis. Each training day lasts from 8:30 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
2020 Raft Guide Training Session
- May 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22 Application deadline- 4/29
2020 Guided River Kayaking Training
Each season we hire 1-2 people to be full or near full-time head trip leaders for our Guided River Kayaking program. Training, training dates, and the number of training days are personalized to fit the applicant's schedule and level of whitewater experience. Qualifications and required equipment is the same as rafting. Applicants must be willing to obtain, or meet the minimum qualifications required by FMCSA for vehicles exceeding 10,000 lbs. This includes: minimum age of 21, a DOT physical, driving record as part of employee file, and be willing to undergo drug and alcohol testing in the event of a serious accident. Past kayaking experience -whitewater, flat water, or saltwater- is preferred, but we would be happy to train the right candidate on all required skills.
Application deadline - open until filled