How to Clean Air Blunt!
by Elaine Campbell
It took me a little while to learn how to clean blunt. I was told by a few different people to think of it as a new trick and it helped. I still will occasionally do a dirty blunt which is when you tap the paddle and then throw the paddle out to the side which is very, very dirty and not clean!
How to Clean Air Blunt:
Elevated 180 degrees rotation on green water at an angle
greater than 45 degrees, clear of the foam pile, where the
competitor rotates around the bow of the boat not using the paddle to initiate the move, landing in a back surf.
Left Clean Air Blunt:
1. Get to the top of the wave by carving.
2. Once on top drop your right edge and do a forward stroke on your right side to accelerate the boat down the face of the wave. Coming down the pile heading towards like 1- 2 o'clock angle. Keep your eyes looking upstream.
3. While doing the forward stroke on edge, tighten up your abs lean forward and bounce hard on that right edge. It's like a pumping motion.
4. Your boat now is going to get rejected and it will be in the air. Keep looking upstream, change edges by dropping your left edge and pulling up hard on your right and now the hard part, punch your left fist over to the right side of your boat while holding a hard right edge. Your right arm should be straight, your left arm will be bent and will be pretty much at eye level crossing over your right side. Keep looking upstream until the landing!
5. Once you feel the rotation of the boat come around you can flatten out and throw in a back stroke as a recovery so you don't flush.
There you have it, a beautiful clean air blunt. I hope what I said makes sense. That's how I figured out how to clean blunt. Remember to really punch that fist out, stay looking upstream until you land and be snappy! If you do a dirty blunt or crash on the landing don't get discouraged keep working at it and you'll get it.
To do a right just switch up your edges and punch out with your right hand!
Here's a video of me throwing a left clean air blunt at Lunch Counter Wave and Garb.
Till next time,