Charlemont, MA, — The Whitewater Symposium is a three-day annual event to be held for the first time October 3 – 5, 2003 at Zoar Outdoor on the Deerfield River in western Massachusetts and in future years, at other paddling schools around the country. It seeks to advance the sport of whitewater paddling by bringing together key players from all aspects of the whitewater spectrum including freestyle, river running, racing, rescue and rodeo. It is an opportunity for paddlers to exchange ideas about trends in equipment, instruction and technique. For the paddling public and active instructors, the Symposium provides an all-inclusive package of technique instruction, dry-land seminars, adventure film presentations and roundtable discussions as well as an opportunity to update instructor credentials in several areas.
The Symposium provides a forum that fosters communication among paddlers and professional development for active instructors. For more information, please check www.symposium.com or call 800-532-7483.
Featured presenters will include:
- Gordon Black, Director of the Safety, Instruction & Education Committee for the ACA
- Eugene Buchanan, editor of Paddler Magazine
- Phil & Mary deRiemer, owners of deRiemer Adventure Kayaking
- Kent Ford former world class slalom paddler, long time kayak instructor and innovator of instruction technique and producer of many best selling kayak instructional videos for his company, Performance Video
- Eric Jackson, world class freestyle and slalom kayaker, member of the U.S. Freestyle Team since 1993 and the U.S. Slalom Team since 1989 and World Freestyle Kayak Champion in 1993 – jacksonkayak.com
- Joe Pulliam, founder of Dagger and currently vice president of product design for Watermark
- Risa Shimoda, Executive Director of American Whitewater
- Charlie Walbridge, Safety Editor of the American Whitewater Journal
- Ken Whiting, World Freestyle Kayak Champion in 1997 and producer of 3 best-selling and award-winning instructional kayaking videos – playboat.com.