Things to do In-Between Your Adventures
by Jennifer West
Planning a trip to Zoar Outdoor or the Berkshires? Save yourself the hassle of digging up information and check out the info below as we’ve got the low down on where to play and eat in the area.
Let’s kick it off with good eats:
- Shelburne Falls is one of the best towns around! It hosts a variety of restaurants and sites to see. Hearty Eats is a casual spot with amazing and healthy food. On top of that, they are vegetarian and vegan friendly! Looking for Pizza? Check out Buckland Pizza House or Casey’s. For a great sit-down restaurant with outdoor seating that has a variety of types of food, head to The Blue Rock Restaurant and Bar. Check out their specialty drinks as well if you’re looking for a cocktail. For a hearty meal right by the water, swing by the West End Pub, where you can grab a table or hang out at the bar. To top off the food scene here, swing by Mo’s Fudge Factor to satisfy that sweet tooth!
- In Charlemont, there are two staples that both locals and visitors frequent. Cold River Café is walking distance from Zoar and offers sit-down dining and a menu of mainly sandwiches, burgers, soups and salads. Berkshire Pizzeria is a tiny bit further down the road and offers delicious homemade pizza. On top of that, behind the restaurant you’ll find outdoor patio seating.
Onto some fun activities:
- Hiking: Check out Mohawk and/or Catamount State Forests, both offer great trails and beautiful scenery. McLeod Pond at Catamount is perfect for canoeing, kayaking and swimming and many of the trails at Mohawk meander along the Cold or Deerfield rivers.
- Fun Activities: If you are into mountain biking, Charlemont has a great trail about 30 miles long spanning over nearly 200 acres owned by Zoar and 2 other property owners. Also, on our facility is a frisbee, or disc, golf course available for use and only costs $5 to rent a disc. Like fishing? Near us the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield River is catch and release with perfect areas to hang out and cast a line. You can stop by Overland Watchpost here in town for gear before heading out.
- Swim Spots: Western Mass is full of awesome swim spots with many being rather close to Zoar. Shunpike on the Deerfield River is a great spot and only a 5 minute drive away. About 20 minutes away is Sunburn Beach. This a fun swim spot at the confluence of the Deerfield and the North Rivers down Rt. 112 in Colrain. Pelham Lake, just north of us in Rowe, has a lovely beach with a great lake view trail that takes you on a trek around the lake.
- Back to Shelburne Falls! Walking around this quaint town is a joy in itself. There are so many unique shops and beautiful sites to check out including the Bridge of Flowers and Glacial Potholes. To take the fun inside, partake in a bit of candlepin bowling at the oldest bowling alley in the country, or head down the road to Greenfield and see a movie! You can swing by the Salmon Falls Art Gallery to see the work of local artists, then head to Mocha Maya's where you can usually catch live music on the weekends.
There are a fantastic amount of fun and interesting things to do out in the Berkshires and hopefully this list helps you to find some of them!